Friday, February 12, 2010

OK, people, here's another update!

This is going to be one of those instances where my Mom tells me "You're too picky." I call them standards.
About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I went out with a guy named Adrian. He suggested Oregano's. Being the food snob that I am, I wasn't really big on Oregano's, but at least it wasn't fucking Applebee's. Anyway, it was a really nice evening, but also when we had all that rain. We were seated outside, near the heater. No big deal, but after awhile I started freezing. He was nice enough to let the manager know so that I got a blanket for my lap. How sweet. He had wanted to have deep dish pizza, and it turns out he grew up in Chicago. Being a NYer, I was leery, but whatever. Anyway, the evening went well, lots of conversation. He texted me. A lot. But never called. The following week, he called and we made a date for the next week for me to take him for NY pizza on Thursday. Never called again but texted quite often. Now, correct me if I'm fucking wrong, but texting isn't a way to get to know someone or communicate. It's for people you KNOW or short stuff like "Be there in 10" or "How's your Mom?", right? Wednesday rolls around (keep in mind, three weeks and only one phone call) and he TEXTS that he'll meet met at 8pm the next night. Um. No. Going out at 8 on a week night is not going to work with me. Well, it might, if that person put a little more effort into getting to know me. Oh, did I mention he uses text TALK? That's where people are too fucking lazy to actually type out the word "YOU" and just use the letter "U" which is the most annoying thing on the planet. When I taught middle school I could excuse it. Not for a 38-year old man. "
Examples:
"What U up 2 2night?'
"Hope U are making it a gr8 Monday!" (surprised he spelled out "are" instead of using "R")
"I only work l8 on Thursdays." l8. With an "L" and an "8". Are you fucking kidding me???

Maybe it's the teacher in me. Or the fact that I spent more than $45 on my phone so that I can actually type something out...though, even on my RAZR, I could spell out anything with an extra tap of a button. Apparently, I'm not worth that effort.
I stopped texting back. Here's the last text I got:
"It was nice trying to get to know U. I guess U were not into trying to get to know me. Bye!"

Uh...bye.

No comments: